- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste (or 4 Tablespoons tomato sauce)
- 1 Tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 pound lentils
- 1 14.5- ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 sweet onion (chopped)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 2 ribs celery (thinly sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 15- ounce cans chickpeas (rinsed)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- In slow cooker, whisk together broth, tomato paste, mustard, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper and salt. Stir in lentils, tomatoes, onion, carrot, celery, garlic and bay leaves.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Add chickpeas and cilantro, then serve.